Sacrifice

sac·ri·fice  - From Latin sacrificium, "sacrificial," from sacer, "holy, sacred."

In her amazing book Daring Greatly, Brené Brown mentions a sermon in which her pastor talked about these roots of the word sacrifice, reflecting on the meaning "to make holy or sacred."  Dr. Brown writes that this understanding of sacrifice forever changed her view of parenthood.
_________________________________________

For Christians, today is the first day of Lent.  I don't have a very strong tie to religion, but I have been thinking about these concepts of sacrifice and family.  There is no question to me that my family is sacred.  My children's existence an expression of love.  And yet, so much distracts me from that sacredness on a daily basis.  Wanting more, needing things to change, never feeling completely satisfied.  As Brené Brown details, our entire culture operates this way and I am swept up to varying degrees.

What would it mean to cleanse ourselves of the things that distract us from what is sacred, to make space for more of what is?   

What would it look and feel like to stop wanting more, needing things to change and never feeling completely satisfied?  It begins with recognizing our thoughts and the critical way we look at ourselves, our families, and the choices we make.  And then, it requires a shift in thinking.  We must choose to believe that we do not need more, and that we are already enough. 

During this Lenten season, I want to make space for more love and compassion.  My observation will not be focused on the repentance of sins, but on bringing awareness to what is sacred in my home and all around me.  I will recognize the thoughts that distract me from my own strengths and the sacredness of my family.  I want to cleanse myself of self-criticism, and the defensiveness (or anger) that masks it.  I want to cleanse myself of doubt about my abilities, and choose to believe that I am already enough. 

For 40 days, I will choose love.  I will choose to love myself when I feel like my children are ignoring me (because it doesn't mean I'm invisible), I will choose to love myself when my husband is questioning me about something (because it doesn't mean he doubts my abilities), I will choose love when I feel inadequate (because it doesn't mean that I am). 

Will you choose to bring more love and compassion into your life, too? 

There is still time to register for Seven Days of Love a full week of writing prompts and fun, easy activities to invite more love into your days.  We will shine a gentle light on the places where love gets stuck, and clear space for love to flow freely again.  We begin tomorrow morning!

No comments: