Gathering

Something truly amazing happens when a small group of women gather, carrying their stories and their joys and their troubles along with their notebooks and pens and water bottles.  My fourth Simplicity Parenting group convened yesterday morning at Meadowbrook Waldorf School, and I was once again blown away by the openness, the honesty and the tenderness that each of the participants brought to their very first gathering. 

I am in love with the idea that women are here to do the healing work of our communities.  As I get older, I truly see that we carry innate wisdom, the answers to so many questions, passed down from ions ago.   Whether you call it a "gut feeling" or "intuition" or call it part of our DNA, we understand healing.  Just as we know when one of our children is sick, we know when a loved one isn't happy, or family life feels "off," or a choice just isn't "right." 

Unfortunately, in our very hectic world, there is barely any space made for this sort of everyday healing.  When we're pulled in so many directions, it is hard to pay attention to those feelings, those little alarm bells warning that something needs nurturing.  Sometimes the thought of taking action on one of those feelings is overwhelming (I just can't deal with this now!) and we choose to ignore it. 

Sitting in the company of five amazing women yesterday, all of whom lead very full and busy lives, I recognized the tremendous commitment to healing that each woman has made, simply by carving out the time to gather.  Each week, we will spend two short hours together.  In that time, I will create a safe, supportive space for them to tune out the static of the busy world, and tune into their own feelings about family life.  Listening, sharing, learning, reflecting, they will each be gathering the tools they need to do their own healing work.  I'm so excited about our journey together, and deeply honored to witness that mysterious thing that happens when women gather and change is born. 

2 comments:

Kristen said...

As a member of this lovely group, what else can I say but, "Yes!" I thought about not doing it because it feels like a "luxury" to take time out to "discuss" family and homelife, but, doesn't it make sense to carve out time, to stop and think about the most important part of my life? People have asked, "Will you learn something new?" That's not really the point. So what is the point? I love the magic that happens when humans get together and open their hearts and their minds and really share with one another...like Allison said, healing happens.

Allison Abramson said...

And it's my hope that by creating this kind of space and looking at things in a different light, you each will be able to learn something new, or try something new with your own families. I'm so happy you are part of this group, Kristen!