A Day of Thanks


Freedom from Want by Norman Rockwell

I was driving to New York this past weekend to celebrate my grandmother's 84th birthday.  As I relaxed into the driver's seat, and settled into the luxury of the solo trip, I turned on the radio and found "Talking Turkey" an interview with New York Times Food Editor, Sam Sifton

There's a lot of talk on the airwaves about Thanksgiving these days- how to prepare the turkey, etiquette for handling family dramas, and (ugh) which stores are opening on Thursday night.

I found this conversation between two men who clearly love Thanksgiving to be a welcome breath of fresh air.   If you have some time (or if you need some last minute food advice) I hope you'll give it a listen.

But if you can't get to it, allow me to share a few of my favorite points:
  • In 1863, Abraham Lincoln declared a National Day of Thanks in the middle of the Civil War.  Think for a moment about the significance of that!  Despite all of the differences dividing the nation, the President believed that all Americans could still reserve one day to give thanks for "the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies."
  • Sam Sifton also talked about how unusual it is for most people to prepare a meal for ten or more people.  Often, Thanksgiving is the only time that it is done.  He talked about how intimidating that can be, but encouraged listeners to focus on simple things, done well.  A traditional roasted turkey.  Perfectly mashed potatoes.  Just the wholesome, real food of the season.
  • Then, the program explored the tradition of saying grace before the meal.  I love how Sam Sifton described this.  Regardless of your religion, or who you want to thank, he said that every host should look around the table, into the eyes of the guests, and express gratitude.  Gratitude to those gathered there, gratitude to the farmers who made the meal possible or gratitude to God for the gifts of health and hope and love....whatever feels right, just take a minute to say it on this day.
It was a lovely reminder of what is truly important in our lives right now.  I am so very excited to share the day with my family, to express my devotion through lovingly prepared foods and before the day is done, to tell them all how grateful I am to have their companionship on my journey through this life.

Wishing you and your family the simplest of pleasures this Thanksgiving!

xo

Allison

No comments: