Oh, Connecticut. So much pain.



I write this morning, because the words are swirling and it’s all I can do to move through these feelings. I’m listening to my daughters play downstairs, a make believe city sprawled in my living room, where little doctors and teachers are eating meals and going to work and living lovely little imaginary lives.
As it should be.

I’m questioning our society. I’m wondering when we will acknowledge that we are off course. That there is too much sadness, too much violence, too much separation from what is truly meaningful about our precious time here on earth.

I’m embracing the feminine this morning. Strong intuition that tells me it is time for mothers to rise up, to speak about love, tenderness, connection and healing. This conversation should not (only) be about gun control and video games and violence and fear. There are certainly places for those conversations. But mothers understand that there is a larger hole in our collective heart.

 Why are young men (in inner cities and affluent towns) so lost?

 How can families and communities wrap their arms around their young men?

 Can we have conversations steeped in love, and not in fear?

 Will those whose children are grown, share their wisdom, be mentors to parents and children?

 Can we turn to our neighbors and rebuild something that has been lost, one connection at a time?

 How do we honor the work of parenting and create spaces for parents to share and learn and heal?

There is one thought that my mind keeps returning to. It is painful, and perhaps I’d rather ignore it, but I choose not to. I ask myself what I would regret if my own family life were shattered yesterday.

Witnessing tragedy brings all that I value and hold dear into crystal clear focus. I want to hold onto this awareness in the coming year. To see my children as innocent and precious each day of their lives. And when it is hard to remember, many months from now, when I am tired or frustrated or angry, I want to lean into love. Love softens frustrations, love reminds us to speak with kindness and respect, love listens intently and love teaches and guides our souls.

I will continue to sit with these feelings through the coming days. Beautiful ways to show our support for Sandy Hook Elementary School may present themselves soon. But for now, I will allow this message of Love to permeate my heart and my home. I believe it is the best way to honor the families who lost their babies yesterday.

6 comments:

Sunny said...

Thank you for offering such beautiful questions and reflections at this tragic times Allison. The loss felt by so many this week draws me deeper into my parenting and my work. It is time to be sure every child has a meaningful relationship with an adult who can help them with life's struggles. XO, Sunny

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Allison. I hope that the world will take note and ask the same questions you pose here. I hope these lives were not lost in vain. I hear conversations all over the news and online beginning to question the role of violence in our culture, of the issue of not attending to and prioritizing mental illness, and of course the gun issue. I just hope we don't stop talking about all this in a couple weeks. Hopefully things will change and all our children will be safe. We are such a small state here in Connecticut, such a "normal" state. If it can happen here, it really can happen anywhere.

cassia said...

i wonder too... leaning in to love right there with you...

gwynn raimondi said...

Yes, beautiful. Thank you so much. These are questions that have swirled in my own mind and questions I have had for a long time (as many of us have).

A woman's place is in the revolution, absolutely.

Mary Beth said...

Please read this wonderful, heart-touching, thought provoking article written by my friend Allison Abramson.
I will hug my 30 year old son today, and every day. I will let him know that there is nothing I would not do to ensure his happiness. And more importantly, that there is nothing he could do to change that affirmation.
Thank you, Allison

Mary Beth said...

Please read this wonderful, heart-touching, thought provoking article written by my friend Allison Abramson.
I will hug my 30 year old son today, and every day. I will let him know that there is nothing I would not do to ensure his happiness. And more importantly, that there is nothing he could do to change that affirmation.
Thank you, Allison